Application Process Overview
Any person or business engaging in real estate transactions as an agent for
another (including time share transactions) must first obtain a license from
The process for obtaining a license by examination is:
- Applicant completes required real estate course
or otherwise satisfies prelicense requirements.
- Applicant files application form and fee with Commission,
either online or in paper form.
- Commission determines applicant's eligibility for
licensing examination and sends qualified applicants
a notice of examination eligibility.
- Applicant contacts testing service to pay examination
fee and schedule examination.
- After applicant passes the examination, Commission
determines whether applicant possesses the requisite
“character” for licensure.
- Commission issues license to qualified applicant.
Real Estate Licensing in North Carolina,
which is free of charge and contains the license application,
may be ordered
Carolina Real Estate Manual is available for
The North Carolina Real Estate License Law
and Commission Rules (including the Trust
Account Guidelines and Comments on the Law and Rules)
is available for online purchase.
list of Commission-approved schools
offering real estate prelicensing and postlicensing
courses is available (PDF).
1. Apply for a broker license by examination
(NORTH CAROLINA RESIDENTS ONLY)
2. Request an application form to be sent to you via
U.S. Mail by sending an email to the Commission at
email@example.com. Please state
in your email whether you need an application for Broker
or an application for Firm. Also include your U.S. Mail
Real Estate Licensing in North Carolina explains
the process of obtaining a license. You may view
it online and/or order a printed copy, which contains
the Application Form, from the free publications order
forms on the Publications page.